UGA- Franklin- Study Abroad in Russia
The Department of Germanic and Slavic Studies offers a 6-weeks summer study abroad program in St. Petersburg (Russia’s cultural capital) and Moscow (Russia’s official capital and a major political, economic, cultural and scientific center). Students have an excellent opportunity to earn 9 credit hours (or 11 credit hours for the beginners) while studying various aspects of the Russian language and culture and experiencing Russian culture firsthand. The academic partners are leading universities in Russia: the Herzen State Pedagogical University in St. Petersburg and Moscow State University. Students with various language skill levels are welcome to apply: from beginners who have no previous knowledge of the Russian language to advanced students who have taken elementary or intermediate Russian.
Students will stay for the first three weeks in St. Petersburg - one of the most intriguing and historically significant cities in Europe which has been called “the Russian window to the West”, “the Venice of the North” or “the Paris of the East”.
The remaining three weeks participants will spend in Moscow – a city which is not only a political and economic center of Russia, but also an impressive multicultural mega polis that accommodates people of more than 170 nationalities, but nevertheless retains its connections to Slavic roots.
Dr. Olga Thomason, Program Director
Department of Germanic and Slavic Studies
Students will earn 9 credit hours (11 credit hours for the beginners) by enrollment in:
I. RUSS3550 Contemporary Issues in Russian Society and Culture (3 hours). This course satisfies the UGA General Education Core Curriculum requirements, Area IV. An introduction to significant issues in modern Russian society and culture including popular culture and every-day life. Students will read a variety of texts, including scholarly works, newspaper articles, fiction and historical accounts. The class is conducted in English and requires no prior knowledge of Russian language or culture.
II. One of the following 4 tracks (depending on need):
1) RUSS1001/RUSS1002 Elementary Russian (4 hours each). Fundamentals of Russian grammar, conversation, pronunciation, and reading. Emphasis on oral proficiency and comprehension.
2) RUSS2001/RUSS2002 Intermediate Russian (3 hours each). Review of basic grammar and study of more advanced grammatical topics. Oral proficiency, comprehension, and vocabulary building will be emphasized. The course will include reading and discussion of various Russian texts.
3) RUSS3001/RUSS3002 Russian Conversation and Composition (3 hours each)These courses are designed to promote the students' ability to express themselves accurately in spoken and written Russian and to increase their comprehension of normal Russian speech.
4) RUSS4001 Advanced Russian Conversation and Composition/RUSS4510 Special Topics (3 hours each). These advanced language courses combine instruction in grammar, composition and stylistics with intensive practice in spoken Russian. The courses are designed to increase students' proficiency in all language skills and to build vocabulary.
Program itinerary varies each year.
Cultural activities included into the program:
- The Hermitage
- St. Isaac’s Cathedral
- Peterhof Palace
- The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood
- River excursions in St. Petersburg and Moscow
- Russian food tasting
- Subway tour in St. Petersburg
- The Red Square and the Alexander gardens
- The Moscow Kremlin and Kremlin Armory
- The Tretyakov Gallery
- The Gorky Park, the Museon sculpture park (fallen monument park)
- VDNKh, the Museum of Cosmonautics
- 2-days trip to Vladimir and Suzdal’ (part of the Golden Ring of Russia)
Housing: Herzen State University dorm (two students in one room) and Moscow State University dorm, main building (a separate room for each student).
Meals: weekly meal allowance
Program Fee ($3890) includes:
- Ground transportation (one-way train transfer from St. Petersburg to Moscow) and transportation to cultural venues
- Meals (weekly allowance)
- International health insurance
- Excursion fees
- Russian visa fees