UGA- SPIA- GLOBIS: Verona Study Abroad Program Maymester
The Verona Study Abroad program began in the summer of 1993. Included in the summer program are major cultural tours of Florence, Rome, and other major Italian cities. While in Verona students will visit Lake Garda (the largest lake in Italy) and the Soave winery as well as several local sites in Verona. Courses are offered in a number of disciplines, including history, international affairs, and international business.
Verona is located in northeastern Italy between Milan and Venice in an area known as the Veneto region. The city is famous for Juliet's balcony where William Shakespeare set his play, "Romeo and Juliet," and for its Roman Arena, which is the third largest Roman arena in Italy, where a famous opera festival is held each summer.
Dr. Jerry Legge, Program Director
Jessica Dick, Accountant
113 Franklin House
480 E. Broad St.
Athens, GA 30602
Contact the following previous participants for more information:
Verona Study Abroad Program
– Comparative Political Institutions
This course will focus on political institutions and their effects on voters, political parties, the economy, policymaking, representation, and more. We will study political institutions comparatively, using countries as our units of analysis. In addition to a focus on electoral institutions, we will discuss presidentialism, parliamentarism, and federalism from a comparative perspective. We will use the tools we acquire to better-understand how democracy works across several countries, and particular focus will be placed on the political institutions of Italy.
- The Holocaust in Italy (3 hours)
The rise of the Fascist State in Italy, the German occupation during World War II, and the destruction of the Italian Jews. Special attention is given to the role of the Church during the German occupation and the Holocaust.
– European Union (3 hours)
The historical origins, development, and current challenges of the European Union. The impact on national sovereignty, external relations, and internal democracy.
- Comparative Legislative Politics (3 hours)
A study of the electoral systems used to choose members of legislatures in leading democracies with an especial emphasis on Italy. Other nation’s legislatures that are examined include the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Israel, Ireland and Brazil. The course traces the ways in which the electoral system influences legislators’ relationships the executive, interest groups, political parties and the conditions under which governments are formed and remain in power.
May 9th to June 23 - Preliminary VSAP SU18 Calendar.pdf
What is included in the program fee?
- Accommodations at the Residence all’Adige. While in Verona, students and faculty will stay at the Residence all' Adige, a modern apartment complex. All apartments have a private bath, kitchen with a small refrigerator, cook top, microwave, satellite TV, radio, and telephone. Cleaning of apartments and change of bed linens and bath towels are performed once a week. This cleaning does not include the kitchen. There is a laundry room and a fully equipped gym center on site.
- Meals. Students will receive breakfast Monday-Thursday while in Verona and daily at the hotels on cultural tours, as well as several group meals in connection with scheduled program activities (see calendar). Each apartment has a kitchen furnished with cooking utensils and there is a grocery store in short walking distance of the Residence.
- Ground transportation on cultural tours to Krakow, Florence, and Rome.
- Hotel accommodations in Florence, Rome, and Southern Italy.
- Entrance fees on cultural tours.
- Internet access
- Medical Insurance through CISI
- Verona City Bus Pass
What is NOT covered in the program fee?
- Tuition. Tuition and fees will be paid directly to the UGA Bursar’s Office.
- Round-trip airfare. (Optional flight TBA)
- Meals other than those listed.
- Laundry facility at Residence all’Adige.
- $150 Cleaning Deposit to Residence all'Adige
- Telephone calls
- Independent travel
- Other personal expenses
Tours will include:
- Southern Italy