|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Courses Offered:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||UGA applicants only|
|Cost of Attendance Sheets||
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Program Category:||UGA Exchange||Sponsor:||UGA|
|Partner Institution:||Kwansei Gakuin University (FICE: 920779)||Type of Instruction:||Internship, Lecture, Research/Fieldwork|
|Classes With:||International Students, Local Students, U.S. Students||Language of Instruction:||English, Japanese|
|Taught By:||Host Professor(s)||Housing Location:||Off-Campus, On-Campus|
|Housing Type:||Dorm/Student Residence, Homestay||Work Opportunity:||No|
|Volunteer Opportunity:||No||Scholarship Availability:||Yes|
|Academic Area:||History, International Affairs, Japanese Language and Literature, Religion|
UGA Exchange, Kwansei Gakuin UniversityKwansei Gakuin University is an independent institution for higher education, offering Bachelor's, Master's, and Ph.D. degrees in over 35 different disciplines to a student body of approximately 24,500. Founded in 1889, the university maintains academic standards that rank among the highest of all Japanese universities and colleges.
KGU Exchange Program Fact Sheet 2017-18
Program LocationKwansei Gakuin has 6 campuses: Nishinomiya Uegahara, Nishinomiya Seiwa, Kobe Sanda, Osaka- meda, Tokyo Marunouchi and Takarazuka. Since 1929, the flagship campus of Kwansei Gakuin University is located in Nishinomiya, Hyogo. In 1995, the university have opened a new larger campus in Sanda, Hyogo. There are two satellite campuses in downtown Osaka City (Umeda), and Marunouchi, Tokyo. The lectures are mainly conducted at the Nishinomiya Uegahara, Nishinomiya Seiwa and Kobe Sanda campus.
The Nishinomiya Uegahara and Seiwa Campuses are located in the city of Nishinomiya, a residential city of 486,000 and situated between the cities of Osaka and Kobe. The Nishinomiya Uegahara campus houses eight of the eleven KGU undergraduate schools, nine graduate schools and two independent professional graduate schools. It is also home to the Japan and East Asia Studies Program. The Nishinomiya Seiwa campus opened in 2009 holds the School of Education.
Contact InformationMs. Colleen Larson
Education Abroad Advisor
Office of International Education
International Education Building
1324 S. Lumpkin Street
Athens, GA 30602
Academic ProgramCourse offerings:
Read through the new Contemporary Japan Program CJP Brochure (2016-2017) [ 6.61 MB ] and familiarize yourself with KGU’s new exchange program. Start off with the FAQs in the back.
Program offerings within the CJP, include two main tracks:
- Japanese Language Track, for students who wish to focus on their Japanese language studies
- Modern Japan Track, for students who wish to learn about Japan via English-taught courses on a variety of subjects
- Online KGU Syllabus Search http://global.kwansei.ac.jp/academics/academics_005748.html
- Additional courses in English are offered through the School for International Studies (SIS)
Japanese Language & Culture; includes intensive language study option and instruction in English in Japan/Asia history, international affairs, religion, culture, etc.
- Open only to UGA students
- Minimum GPA: 2.5 and good standing at UGA
- Completion of JPNS 1002 at the time of participation (or higher)
- Students must be nominated for this exchange by the Department of Comparative Literature each year in January
- All UGA students seeking to participate in a UGA Exchange Program in Japan must be nominated for study at a specific partner university by the Department of Comparative Literature.
- 2016-2017 Nomination deadline: Wednesday, January 13, 2016.
- Students wishing to be nominated for a Full-year (or possibly Spring) program in the following year are expected to be currently enrolled in JPNS at UGA, submit an essay noting goals for participation, specific universities of preference, unofficial transcript, and JPNS professor recommendation etc. directly to Dr. Mori in CMLT. Additional documents might also be requested.
- Application items submitted via the GoAbroad portal application will not be used for the nomination application.
- This application is to be completed by nominated students.
- Nomination results will be announced by CMLT in mid-January and nominated students will receive additional information about next steps at that time.
- Please consult Dr. Mori, email@example.com, for final deadlines and/or additional requirements.
- Plus, schedule an exchange advising appointment with the Office of International Education, firstname.lastname@example.org, 706-542-2900.
Fall Semester: Mid September to Mid January
Spring Semester: Late March to Mid July
A Winter Intensive Option is also included for full-year students
KGU guarantees accommodation to incoming exchange students who request it, but not all students will be able to be placed in the accommodation of their choice.
3. Stay with relatives, rent own apartment, etc. (own arrangement)
Note: Students who want to find their own apartment should arrive in Japan 1-2 weeks before the designated arrival date to make the necessary arrangements. Please understand that if a student wishes to find their own accommodation, KGU has no responsibility to help them with any of the procedures involved with renting an apartment in Japan - this option is hence not recommended for those without at least a high level of Japanese reading comprehension and general conversational skills.