How you can help students
Encourage students to plan at least a year in advance of their study abroad program and let them know it’s never too early to start thinking about studying abroad!
Finding a program:
- First guide students to Education Abroad 101 Sessions
- Tell students about any UGA Faculty-Led Programs within your department that might work for their major or minor
- Visit goabroad.uga.edu
- Let students know that if they find a program on their own, they need to see the Office of International Education for approval.
- Help students identify courses that do not have a residency requirement
- Upper level electives outside their major or minor are often easier to find abroad and get approval for
- General Education Courses can be found abroad
- On the Transfer Credit Approval Form you will identify how courses fit into their degree plan. If they want approval for a specific course, language class, or business course they will need to go to the department for approval.
Steps for Students
- Attend an Education Abroad 101 Session
- Students who are unsure about what type of program, destination, etc. should go to our Walk-in Hours.
- Spring 16 hours M-F 9-5pm at the OIE
- Drop-in Tables at the MLC are Mondays and Wednesdays 1-3
- Making an Appointment with an Education Abroad Advisor can be done online at goabroad.uga.edu by clicking “Make an Appointment” on the left hand side.
- Students should begin an application on the Go Abroad Portal. If they are doing a Non-UGA program and they cannot find an application, let them know to complete the Non-UGA General Program Application
- Transfer Credit Approval Form
- This should be discussed in their first appointment with an Education Abroad Advisor but please let students know that if they are doing a UGA Exchange or Non-UGA program they will need to complete this form the semester before they go abroad. This is necessary for them to receive financial aid.
- UGA Exchanges*- September 15 for Spring semester and February 1st for Fall Semester
- OIE Scholarship – February 15 for Fall and October 24 for Spring and Early Summer
- Gilman Scholarship- 1st Tuesday in March and October
- For Non-UGA Programs, Transfer Credit Approval Forms are due by:
- Fall programs - April 15th
- Spring programs - November 15th
- Summer programs - April 15th
*Some deadlines may be earlier depending on the university
- Diversity and UGA Education Abroad Brochure (PDF)
- UGA International Certificates Brochure (PDF)
- Education Abroad: Scholarships for UGA Students Brochure (PDF)
- Education Abroad: UGA Exchange Programs Brochure (PDF)
- Education Abroad Wallet-Size Advising Card (only available in hard copy)
- UGA Residential Centers Brochure (PDF)
- UGA Cortona Postcard (PDF)
- UGA Costa Rica Postcard (PDF)
- UGA at Oxford Postcard (PDF)
- UGA Costa Rica Programs in the Humanities and Arts Brochure (PDF)
- UGA Costa Rica Programs in the Sciences Brochure (PDF)
- Peace Corps at UGA (PDF) - (Full Page | Quarter-Sheets)