If you are working with a student who is currently abroad or planning to go abroad, please inform them to contact the Office of International Education to ensure they are in compliance with university policies. Failure to work with Education Abroad may prevent students from using financial aid & scholarships or transferring credits to UGA.
How you can help students
Encourage students to plan at least a year in advance of their study abroad program and let them know it’s never too early to start thinking about studying abroad!
Finding a program:
- First guide students to Education Abroad 101 Sessions
- Tell students about any UGA Faculty-Led Programs within your department that might work for their major or minor
- Visit goabroad.uga.edu
- Let students know that if they find a program on their own, they need to see the Office of International Education for approval.
- Help students identify courses that do not have a residency requirement
- Upper level electives outside their major or minor are often easier to find abroad and get approval for
- General Education Courses can be found abroad
- On the Transfer Credit Approval Form you will identify how courses fit into their degree plan. If they want approval for a specific course, language class, or business course they will need to go to the department for approval.
Steps for Students
- Attend an Education Abroad 101 Session
- Students who are unsure about what type of program, destination, etc. should go to our Walk-in Hours.
- Spring 16 hours M-F 9-5pm at the OIE
- Drop-in Tables at the MLC are Mondays and Wednesdays 1-3
- Making an Appointment with an Education Abroad Advisor can be done online at goabroad.uga.edu by clicking “Make an Appointment” on the left hand side.
- Students should begin an application on the Go Abroad Portal. If they are doing a Non-UGA program and they cannot find an application, let them know to complete the Non-UGA General Program Application
- Transfer Credit Approval Form
- This should be discussed in their first appointment with an Education Abroad Advisor but please let students know that if they are doing a UGA Exchange or Non-UGA program they will need to complete this form the semester before they go abroad. This is necessary for them to receive financial aid.
- UGA Exchanges*- September 15 for Spring semester and February 1st for Fall Semester
- OIE Scholarship – February 15 for Fall and October 24 for Spring and Early Summer
- Gilman Scholarship- 1st Tuesday in March and October
- For Non-UGA Programs, Transfer Credit Approval Forms are due by:
- Fall programs - April 15th
- Spring programs - November 15th
- Summer programs - April 15th
*Some deadlines may be earlier depending on the university
- Diversity and UGA Education Abroad Brochure (PDF)
- UGA International Certificates Brochure (PDF)
- Education Abroad: Scholarships for UGA Students Brochure (PDF)
- Education Abroad: UGA Exchange Programs Brochure (PDF)
- Education Abroad Wallet-Size Advising Card (only available in hard copy)
- UGA Residential Centers Brochure (PDF)
- UGA Cortona Postcard (PDF)
- UGA Costa Rica Postcard (PDF)
- UGA at Oxford Postcard (PDF)
- UGA Costa Rica Programs in the Humanities and Arts Brochure (PDF)
- UGA Costa Rica Programs in the Sciences Brochure (PDF)
- Peace Corps at UGA (PDF) - (Full Page | Quarter-Sheets)