Study Abroad Program Policies
- Contact Hours Guidelines for Study Abroad Programs
- Enrollment Thresholds Guidelines for Study Abroad Programs
- UGA Credit Hour Policy
- Policy on the Requirement for Faculty and Staff to Submit Education Abroad Activity that is Recommended to Students for Review by the Office of International Education
- Short SABD Program Info and Itinerary Template (for study abroad programs less than eight weeks)
- Semester SABD Program Info Template (for study abroad programs eight weeks or longer)
- Internship, Practicum, or Student Teaching Program Information Template (for internship, practicum, or student teaching programs of any length)
Risk ManagementThe University of Georgia is committed to the safety and well-being of its students, faculty, and staff who travel to support the University's mission, and realizes that some areas and regions of the world present heightened health, safety, and security risks. Specifically, countries and areas that carry U.S. State Department Travel Warnings require special consideration and review to manage and mitigate risk, and in many circumstances, require the avoidance of travel altogether, thus the ability to travel under UGA sponsorship or financing to countries under a State Department Travel Warning is limited.
Program Director and Staff AgreementsAnyone traveling in a leadership/authority position on a study abroad program (including graduate assistants) must complete the Program Staff Agreement.
The policies outlined in the Program Staff Agreement are available here:
- Expectations for UGA Program Leaders (for Program Directors/Leaders)
- Expectations for UGA Program Staff (for any UGA employees who are not the Program Director)
- Expectations for Non-UGA Program Staff (for any person in a position of leadership/authority who is not a UGA employee)
Student Participant PoliciesStudents participating in study abroad programs must agree to abide by certain policies, including:
- Agreement for Participation in a Program Abroad*
- Education Abroad Program Fee Withdrawal Policy*
Institutional PoliciesUniversity of Georgia general travel policies provided by UGA Finance and Administration can be found at http://www.policies.uga.edu/FA/nodes/view/988/Travel.
Emergency Response ProtocolUGA Education Abroad has developed an Emergency Response Protocol for International Education Programs, available online in PDF format.
- Please review the CISI Insurance Policy.
- To file a claim, use the CISI Insurance Claim Form.
- Enrollment information will be provided by the UGA Office of International Education.
- CISI Mobile Apps: iOS / Android
International Travel for Faculty/StaffInternational travel authorities are reviewed by the Office of International Education and, to assess safety and security of the target location, as with any UGA travel request, approval must be obtained prior to finalizing travel reservations.
OIE cross-checks faculty and staff travel requests with numerous security and information sources, including the State Department's list of countries with current travel warnings. The full policy on international travel to travel warning countries is available here: Travel Warning Policy.
For further information please contact Education Abroad (firstname.lastname@example.org).